St. Anthony Hall was founded as the Fraternity of Delta Psi on January 17, 1847, at Columbia University in New York. The Hall is named for St. Anthony the Great, whose feast day is January 17. The organization began as a true fraternity dedicated to a love of education and the well-being of its members. Throughout the mid-1800’s, chapters were founded throughout the Northeast and extended into the South.
Unfortunately, during the Civil War, chapters in the North and South lost contact. However, many members served with distinction and wore their badges into battle. They were often reunited in both pleasant and antagonistic situations throughout the war. Once the war ended, surviving Southern chapters rejoined, and still more chapters were refounded in the South and the Northeast.
St. Anthony Hall prides itself on a history of inclusivity. The Hall was among the first fraternal organizations to accept women. The chapter at Yale was the first to become co-ed, starting in 1969—the very year Yale University began admitting women. The chapter at UNC was also a pioneer on its campus. In 1967, it became the first fraternal organization at UNC to accept a person of color.
To this day, the members of St. Anthony Hall remain a group of college students interested in the bonds of siblinghood who share a common passion for the love of learning and an appreciation for a well-rounded education.